It’s been a fun day running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64bit version in VMware Workstation 8. I’m finding Windows 8 very exciting as I consider the possibilities and it definitely changes they way you think about using Windows.
For the past day, I’ve been reading a lot of the tweets regarding questions people have about installing Windows 8 in Workstation 8 so I thought I’d quickly document a few key points.
Easiest Way to Install Windows 8 CP 64bit
Please note the following points when using the new virtual machine wizard to install Windows 8 CP 64bit
- Select “Custom” for type of configuration
- Select “I will install the operating system later” on the “Install From” screen
- select “Microsoft Windows” as Guest Operating System and or “Windows 7 x64” as the version depending on the rev of Windows 8 CP 64bit you are installing.
- After the wizard completes, go to the VM settings and point the virtual DVD drive to the Windows 8 CP 64bit ISO and then power on the machine.
- Follow the prompts to install Windows 8 CP 64bit. Enjoy!