New version! - An automatic hosts file import, deduplicate/normalize, & sorter for custom hosts file generation + a hosts management system (that's a self-contained single multithreaded executable file created in Borland Delphi XE2 32-bit &/or 64-bit code) that runs on Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003/VISTA/Windows 7/Server 2008 (possibly beyond):
INSTALL - Extract its self-extracting installer from the zipfile first. Then, run the self extractor, extracting its files to ANY folder you like (usually one you create for it, doesn't matter where, but you MUST run it as administrator for FULL functionality (simple & the "read me" tab shows how easy THAT is to do)). Then simply make a shortcut to either the 32-bit model or the 64-bit model and run it.
Custom hosts files gain me the following list of benefits (Summary of where custom hosts files can be extremely useful):
- Blocking out malware/malscripted sites.
- Blocking out Known sites-servers/hosts-domains that are known to serve up malware (especially "fastflux" types, the predominant design that uses host-domain names vs. IP addresses (far easier to 'kill' in the latter is why)).
- Blocking out Bogus DNS servers malware makers use (via fastflux + rogue DNS servers).
- Blocking out Botnet C&C servers.
- Blocking out Bogus adbanners that are full of malicious script content for security, & regular ones for more bandwidth.
- Blocking out known PHISHERS.
- Blocking out TRACKERS.
- Blocking out SPAMMERS.
- Getting you back speed/bandwidth you paid for by blocking out adbanners + hardcoding in your favorite sites (faster than remote DNS server resolution).
- Added reliability (vs. downed or misdirect/poisoned DNS servers - since most are NOT patched vs. the Kaminsky flaw).
- Added "anonymity" (to an extent, vs. DNS request logs).
- The ability to bypass DNSBL's (DNS block lists you may not agree with).
- More screen "real estate" (since no more adbanners appear onscreen eating up CPU, Memory, & other forms of I/O too - bonus!).
- Truly UNIVERSAL PROTECTION (since any OS, even on smartphones, usually has a BSD drived IP stack).
- Custom hosts files work on ANY & ALL webbound apps (browser plugins do not).
- Custom hosts files offer a better, faster, more efficient way, & safer way to surf the web & are COMPLETELY controlled by the end-user of them.
(The application is also essentially a "portable" type, and can run from any writeable media, provided it has the space for the diskbound data imported & processed).
IMPROVEMENTS IN VERSION 7.0++:
- Able to handle redirected &/or CDN distributed site work
- Unique user-agent string (in both 32 & 64 bit model)
- Far better err-handling for usermode stuff, in try, try, finally, except wraps on ALL functions/procedures AND better kernel-mode (WinSock2 stuff) traps too.
- Better filtering vs. "False Positives"
- UNICODE READY (for the new "generic" gTLD's coming out of ICANN)
- All known gTLD's incorporated
- Far better more useable & intuitive GUI (especially for redirect work, SITE by SITE) as well as better right-click menus + instant filesaves to disk (where it made the user have to do it manually last build).
APK Hosts File Engine - 64bit software